Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A Week of Zucchini

We're having a week of zucchini this week (and that is different from the last two weeks how? my sons might ask).  I thought it might be fun to share some of the ways I am attempting to keep up with our abundance of zucchini.  Yesterday found me at the garden asking strangers if they would like some zucchini so you know that things are pretty desperate. ;-)

First up was Monday's dinner - Breaded Fried Zucchini
This is my boys favourite way to eat zucchini and I used to make it in lovely little sticks but found (as they and their appetites grew) that the sticks were too fiddly and time consuming so now I make it in great slabs.  I use a medium-largish zucchini and slice it lengthwise into about 1 cm thick slabs.   I dip it into an egg mixture (I didn't have any eggs the other night so I used plain yogurt instead and it worked almost as well) then into a breading mix (bread crumbs, flour and spices).  Then I fry them on a griddle until they are crisp on the outside and tender inside.  Delicious.  I made lots so that we can have some of the leftovers as a sandwich filling.

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Mmmm! We love fried squash!