Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Roasted Squash (or Pumpkin!) Bisque

Last night I made Roasted Squash Bisque to go with our dinner.  It was so delicious I had to share the recipe.  My husband had two bowls full and was scraping the bowl to get the last drop (I think he likely would have licked the bowl clean if I hadn't been there).  It is very simple to make if you already have (bags and bags) of roasted pumpkin or squash puree in your freezer.  If not you could make this when you wanted to use up some leftover baked squash or you could probably also use a can of pumpkin.

2 carrots
2 potatoes
1 large onion
olive oil

Chop these and saute in pot with a big glug of olive oil and sage leaves. (I used about 8 off a branch of a sage plant I have hanging in the kitchen)  Cook, stirring often, until the onions brown a bit.

6-8 cups water and 1 bouillion cube or broth
2 cups (or more) of roasted pumpkin or squash

Add the broth and stir. Cook until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add cooked squash. Simmer.  Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth.  (I blended the sage leaves right into it)

Serve with a dash of Bragg's or you could use some salt and pepper instead.  I also like to add a spoonful of nutritional yeast sometimes and a spoonful of coconut oil.

6 comments:

Debbie said...

Wow, that looks and sounds delicious - kind of makes me wish I had some pumpkins handy!

Lise said...

Thanks...I just so happen to have jars and jars and jars of pumpkin puree in my freezer, demanding some new recipes!

Greenie said...

Yummy! I can't wait to try it. I've been in a soup making mood lately, too. It's kismet.

affectioknit said...

It looks wonderful - I love squash soup!

Heather said...

Hi Lise, there are a few recipes for using up pumpkin on the sidebar. They're all favourites of ours and I'd recommend any (or all) of them. :-)

Sharon said...

I'm so excited to try this! I've been looking for a good squash bisque recipe, thank you!