Friday, June 24, 2011

Divine Strawberry Shortcake

Two posts in one day!?! I know.  But it just doesn't seem fair for me to know how good this recipe is and not share it ASAP.  I know we live in a consumer culture that tries to convince us we NEED all sorts of things.  Well, I don't believe it and over the last 15 years or so I've learned that one actually needs very little to live a joyful life but trust me...you NEED this!
Convinced?  Alright, here's the recipe.  My friend sent me this link yesterday and I made a batch for the four of us.  When I was patting out the dough to cut into squares (I didn't want to bother using a circular cookie cutter and then have extra dough to reshape so whenever I make biscuits or scones I always do squares) I realized that if I cut the dough into only 4 squares they would end up being quite large.  I cut them into 8 more reasonable sized squares and figured (possibly) we might make two dessert nights out of them. 
After we each ate a portion (and some of us may have "cleaned our plates exceptionally well" - read: licked 'em clean) the boys asked for another.  And so, why not.  We each had a second portion.  S asked if we could have it every night for two weeks and, since strawberries are such a short season for us, I believe we will.  I've already got the strawberries sliced up for a whole new batch tonight.

5 comments:

Mary-Sue said...

HEE HEE!
seeeeeeee?
now you understand why i was feeling so sorry for you not having had it before!!! and calling your sponge or angelfood a pretty sad alternative to the REAL THING!
;o)

donna!ee said...

oh my, must give this a taste! thank you so much for sharing all that you do...i am in agreement with you, we need very little for a joyful life! blest be :)

daisy g said...

Man, that looks good! ;0)

Mary-Sue said...

oh, and p.s.
your shortcake looks amazing!! my mum would be SO proud of you getting so many layers and such a good rise like that! you're apparently now the shortcake queen toooooooo, to add to all your other titles ;o)

Jacqueline said...

looks amazing! can't wait to try it!