Monday, March 14, 2011

Scottish Oat Cakes

My Oatcake recipe has been with me a long time - since I was little.  These have always been a favourite snack for W and so I like to be sure to make them regularly (anything to help fill up a 15 year old with an endless appetite plus they connect us with our Scottish heritage).  Last week I thought I would make some for our tea time but I couldn't find my recipe.  It took the third time looking through my recipe box to find it (W had put the recipe card back upside down after he made them last time?!?!).  I had a moment of worry that I had lost the recipe and was wishing I had posted it here just in case so...now I'm going to.  I find one of the handiest things about blogging is having another record of my favourite recipes.

Oatcakes

1 1/2 cup flour (whatever kind you like)
1/4 sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup melted butter (I use 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup grapeseed oil)
2 eggs beaten with 2 Tbsp water (I used to sometimes use flax seed as an egg substitute and have also used apple juice instead of the water)

Mix dry ingredients then add liquid ingredients/  Mix and then roll out to 1/4 inch on floured board.  Cut.  Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.
I love these served split open with a bit of butter and a spoonful of our homemade jam - this time we had blackberry jam on one and blackberry peach on another. Such a simple tea time treat.
And now I'm going to link this in my sidebar so I will more easily be able to find this recipe...just in case.

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I have looked to the blog more than once for a recipe I couldn't find in my own box, it is handy!
I had to smile at your first photo, it looked so familiar to me. The bowl (just like my sister's set) and the marble rolling pin. I still have the set my Dad gave me when I was about 15, the rolling pin and marble pastry board. Yeah, he liked to encourage my baking! I guess it stuck.
Kudos if you actually filled up your 15 year old :)

donna!ee said...

sounds yummy & healthy...sounds like breakfast tomorrow! thank you much for sharing... :)

Sharon said...

Yum! I'm going to make these this week for my girls! Thanks for sharing Heather!

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I used to make something like this long ago. Thanks for reminding me about them.

Kelly said...

Wonderful. I just love oatcakes!

affectioknit said...

Oooh! those look yummy - and easily veganized! I agree about the recipes on the blog - I often search my own for a recipe I know I've posted...

Vickie LeBlanc said...

These look delicious. I've been trying to find a good oatcake recipe (not too dry/hard and just moist enough). These look like what I'm looking for. I think I might try these. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Sarah said...

I just put them together now and they are baking in the oven. What a simple breakfast to make! I mean, apart from where I cracked the egg into the garbage instead of the bowl. But that can hardly be blamed on the recipe.

I can't wait to eat them!

By the way, your tomato pie recipe is a HUGE hit in our house, too. It was a favorite for all our extended family, too.

donna!ee said...

made this and they are scrump dillicious!!! :)