Friday, September 24, 2010

Putting Things By and Frost

Frost!  Two nights ago.
One of the troubles of living up this high if you are a gardener, and one of the reasons why we aren't looking up here for an acreage to buy, is the short gardening season.  Gardening time is done here but luckily I still have my garden in town.  I've been very busy putting things by for the coming months and my coldroom shelves and freezers are quickly being filled.  I love seeing all that goodness tucked away in jars, in the freezer and in the coldroom.  I'm looking forward to sharing some of my favourite preserves  here and also one new favourite - blackberry/peach jam. 


When I was making blackberry jam at my parents' this  year I came across a recipe for blackberry peach jam and thought that that would be a delicious combination of flavours to make sometime.
When a friend let me pick some of her homegrown blackberries and gave me a box of her peaches I decided that was a sure sign I had to try making some.
 I prefer to use Pomona's Pectin for jam making and so I decided the simplest method would be to follow their instructions for one batch of blackberry jam and two batches of peach jam and mix them all up in one big pot.  The result was delicious.
I never did quite manage to catch the gorgeous colour of it on the camera but it is beautiful and will make a gorgeous solstice or Christmas gift.
Of course we had to make some scones so we could test it out and make sure it would be gift worthy.  That only makes sense...right?  Summertime in a jar...love it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that jam looks good! It's not a flavour combination I would have thought of, but I'm sure it would taste delicious! I just might have to try that someday.

Amy Dingmann said...

We are not far from frost ourselves...sure puts a damper on the growing, but is beautiful...especially in your pictures! All the food looks yummy!! Isn't it great to get this put up for winter?

Amanda said...

That jam looks delicious!

And I am so very, very sorry about your dear friend.

Jacqueline said...

yummy! that jam looks amazing!

Sue said...

Hi Heather,
I am hoping to try this this week! Thanks! Sue

Katherine said...

Not only does that jam look delicious, I bet it smells delicious. I love this time of year - even though it can be hectic getting food canned and/or frozen. It's so rewarding, isn't it? So happy you have a garden in town that is untouched from the frost.