Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Tomato Peach Salsa

This is one of those recipes that I have adapted over the years and each batch tends to turn out a little differently depending on what kind and how many peppers I have ripe or if I have peaches or not.  I make this salsa even after peach season but I definitely prefer it with peaches.
This time I had superchili peppers, jalapenos and sheppard peppers (habanero peppers are also delicious in this if used in moderation).
I run the onions and peppers through the food processor and toss them in a large stock pot.  Then add the garlic and chopped peaches (I use peaches that are ripe enough that I don't need to blanch them to remove the skins).
Then I blanch the tomatoes, roughly chop them and add them to the pot ( I prefer to use Romas so that I end up with a thicker salsa but any tomatoes will do and I use what I have ripe).  Add the rest of the ingredients and an hour later you have some delicious salsa.
Isn't it gorgeous with those chunks of peach in it?  I always triple or quadruple it at least for each batch I make - if you're going to have all the mess going you might as well make really big batches. I also make some batches "mild" and some "spicy".  Here is the complete basic recipe.

Tomato Peach Salsa

3 1/2 pounds ripe, Roma tomatoes (blanch, peel, and chop)
1 1/2 pounds peaches  (peeled and chopped)
3 large bell type peppers
several hot type peppers (maybe 6 jalapeno type then add more depending on your taste)
1-2 large onions
fresh crushed garlic (1 head is nice but can use less)

1 small can tomato paste
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp coarse salt
2 tsp paprika (optional)

Put all ingredients in large pot.  Bring to boil uncovered and then turn down heat and simmer for 1 hour.  Keep an eye on it and stir every so often otherwise it can burn on the bottom as it thickens.  Then process in sterilized canning jars.  I use the hot water bath method and process 10 minutes for pint jars.  When I quadruple this recipe I get approx. 14 pint jars.


10 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

I am marking this one under favorites and as soon as I can get my hands on some peaches, even if I have to go to the ookey store and buy them...I am making this!

Thank you so much for sharing it, Heather!!!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious! But I've only ever had regular tomato salsa... so silly question: what do you eat it with?

I'd really love to make it :)
Thanks
Stephanie

affectioknit said...

That sounds wonderful! I love tomatoes and peaches!

6512 and growing said...

I just made a peach salsa yesterday (without tomatoes) but with green peppers and chile peppers and ohmygoodness, I am hooked.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

Very timely post for me. I just made "garden patch" salsa, with grated zucchini and carrot and parsley (yes, another way to use up zucchini!) and the jalapenos were too hot for my dh so I said I would make one with fruit. I was eyeing the mangoes but I think peaches might be just the thing!

Amanda Medlin said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!!! I LOVE salsa with something sweet...peaches, pineapple, mango. I am definitely going to try this out!

Warmly,

Amanda

Heather said...

Hi Stephanie, we use it in the same way we use regular salsa - with chips, on burritos or taco salad, on eggs, etc. It just tastes a little sweeter with the peaches.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Heather! I can't wait to make it!

Stephanie xx

Katherine said...

Mmmm... my favourite salsa.

Dr. A. Cannon said...

This recipe sounds great , but I have an inion allergy will it be a waste if I skip the onions or do you have a suggested substitute