Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Apple Pie Muffins

I had some apples languishing in the fridge that needed using up so I decided to make Apple Pie Muffins.  My family loves these but I hadn't made them in ages.  E particularly likes the name and takes delight in having something "just like pie" to nibble on.

The secret to their goodness is in the crumble topping pictured here - it takes a somewhat ordinary apple muffin into the apple pie level.
Here's the recipe in case you too have some sad looking apples on hand.

Apple Pie Muffins
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 egg
1 cup sour milk (milk and lemon juice) or buttermilk
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 tsp vanilla

2 cups diced apples


Topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp melted butter

Mix the topping and set aside.  In another bowl mix the dry ingredients. In small bowl mix the wet ingredients.  Combine wet with dry and then add apples.  Mix until just mixed.  Put in muffin tins and put some topping on each muffin. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

3 comments:

The Apple Pie Gal said...

Now I wish I had made these instead of had a donut for breakfast!

Ariella said...

wow! looks so delicious, we'll have to try it.

Sherrie said...

Yum! These look great. I came across your blog the other day, and I think we just might be twins. Have a great weekend!