Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thimble Cookies

Thimble cookies have always been a favourite of mine. I love to make them at this time of year and find it pretty easy to round up a helper to do the thimble imprints.The dough is so simple with only a few ingredients. I like to use fresh lemon juice in them.
We roll them in ground walnuts - the walnuts come right from our very own tree. Then make an imprint in them with a thimble so that we have a spot to fill with jam.Bake them and then fill them with our own jam or jelly. I always use raspberry, blackberry or currant - I like that bit of berry tartness with the sweetness of the cookie.

Here is a link to a recipe that is the same as the one I use. If you decide to make them then make sure to double the recipe. ;-)

4 comments:

Katherine said...

That's the first time I've seen a thimble being used at your house, Heather. ;o) I didn't know you even had one. I obviously didn't think of looking in the kitchen to find yours. heehee

Yummy, looking cookies! That should give you energy for playing in the snow today.

Tara said...

You are a veritable holiday machine over there! Wow... I am impressed. Thanks for this link. I have a whole cupboard full of elderberry rose jelly I made this year that I'm thinking might be nice tucked inside a cookie.

Heather said...

Katherine - that IS the only time a thimble gets used around my house. ;-) You know me well.

Tara - I've never tried elderberry jelly but I bet it would be delicious in these cookies. I tasted a friend's elderberry juice this summer and it was delicious.

Tara said...

I made these for my mother in law's holiday dinner today – added a little lemon zest and used the elderberry rose jelly – and they were delicious. Thanks again!