Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tomato beans

This is a pretty plain way to eat beans...it isn't a recipe that I would use to introduce someone to beans but it is one that I enjoy. The flavours of the tomatoes, garlic and thyme with the olive oil on top...delicious.I soak large white beans in plenty of water the night before. In the morning I drain them and add fresh water then put them on the stove to cook. This takes about an hour. When they are tender then I drain them again. I saute some onion and celery in the cast iron pot and then add the drained beans, a large container of stewed tomatoes and a jar of tomato sauce. I also like to add a few sticks of dried Kombu crunched up really small. Let simmer while the beans absorb the tomato sauce. Add Herbamare, pepper and lots of thyme. (my stewed tomatoes already have basil, garlic and onion in them or I would have added this too). Simmer until the beans are nice and soft. Sometimes I will add a bit of broth to keep them saucy. Serve with a good drizzle of olive oil on top and some nice crusty bread. My boys like to make cheese buns (buns put under the broiler with some grated cheese and garlic on them) to go with.

2 comments:

Allison said...

Can't wait to try it! We have either red or white beans every Monday for dinner (that's a New Orleans thing.)
Than again during the week we'll make another type of bean. We love them too.
I just posted a bean recipe on my blog if your interested.

affectioknit said...

That sounds really yummy! I love your little potholders...