Thursday, December 10, 2009

My Favourite "Christmas" Toffee


Every year when I was little my mom and I made this toffee.  We did a lot of baking but this was one of my favourites (as well as the gingerbread village and nanaimo  bars).  I haven't made it for a few years and my boys don't remember it.  This year in thinking about which traditions are the most important to each of us I decided I wanted to start making this again each year.

It is a very simple recipe with only four ingredients.(The original recipe calls for corn syrup but I don't use corn syrup so I subbed honey.) I had two eager helpers. 

Yes, one of them was an elf.

We stirred (and stirred and stirred until softball stage).  This must be cooked at a lowish temperature otherwise it will burn.

When it is cooled you cut it into small squares.  We used to wrap each square in pieces of cellophane and would then include some in gift baskets.  I suggest making a batch JUST for your own family. ;-)

We tested if (just for you) to make sure it was just as good with  the honey substitute.  Wasn't that thoughtful of us?  It is every bit as delicious as I remember.

Here is the recipe.  Once you taste it perhaps it will become an addition to your family traditions?

Soft Taffy
1 can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
5 tbsp honey (originally corn syrup)

Put all ingredients in a thick pan.  Stir constantly (seriously!) at lowish temperature until it reaches softball stage on a candy thermometer.  Pour into buttered 9x13 pan.  Let cool and slice into small squares.  Store in fridge or freezer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A recipe??? and it's gluten free??? What a wonderful surprise!!
Will be trying this out!!
Thanks,
Rebecca :)

Jacqueline said...

oh my! zara would love that. we may just have to try it!

Mary-Sue said...

wish there were taste tests on blogs!! yum.

Mike said...

Homemade Taffy? I never knew you could do this. I will try tonight. I'm so excited. The fact that it is gluten free is even better.