Friday, August 7, 2009

Handmade shopping bag

I've been wanting to make some shopping bags out of pillow cases for awhile now but haven't felt motivated to get to it. I decided I would today since I especially wanted to make one for a gift and I will be seeing the person I wanted to give it to in a few days. I drew up a pattern and tested it out on a plain old pillow case, it is meant to fit the case so that there is only a bit of cutting and a bit of sewing.I decided I better test it out on some thrifted fabric first before cutting into one of my 60s pillow cases. I have such a hard time cutting up vintage floral sheets and pillow cases, I'm getting quite a collection because I keep picking them up at thrift stores and then don't want to cut them. Even the time I made one into a skirt I did it in a way that required no cutting. ;-)

I love this fabric and thought it would make a fun shopping bag. My jar of thrifted bias tape seems to be missing in action since our move so I found some more at my most recent thrift store visit.This bit that was cut out to make the handles was folded and stitched into a little bag.

And it turned out just the way I had hoped. Now I'm hoping I have enough fabric left over to squeeze out another one just like it for myself. I'll have to find my bias tape though because I used almost the whole packet for just this one.

It is big enough to hold loads of groceries or library books or even thrifting finds. And the handles are long enough so that it can be worn as an emergency backpack if you find yourself about to go on an impromptu hike and really need to carry snack and water.
It all folds up into a little pouch so that it can fit into a purse or pocket so that there is no excuse to forget to take your own bag into the store with you. Maybe that's what I'll call it - the no excuse bag.
;-)
I'm going to be on the lookout for some little hooks to attach to the next ones I make so they can be hooked right onto a purse since I have a few family members who really do have a hard time remembering to bring the other bags I have made them into the store. Aren't I a pest?This was such a fun thing to make that I think I'll need to make a trip to the thrift store to find even more vintage pillow cases, I think I can convince myself to cut them up if it means less plastic shopping bags being used. ;-)

10 comments:

Jacqueline said...

nice work! i love the print!

Mary-Sue said...

LOVE it! gorgeous and so simple. i want to make some tooooooo...

Leigh said...

Excellent idea! I love those old pillow cases too and it seems a shame to just stuff them away in a box or drawer. This is a great way to show them off.

gardenmama said...

What an excellent idea! I am bookmarking your post!

Eve said...

love the flowery blue fabric!

daisy g said...

That is so cute. I love it when practicality and cuteness collide. Wish I could sew...

Anonymous said...

It’s amazing to visit again n again coming to your blogs the superb effort is here.www.bestsewingmachineforkids.com

Sherry Beck said...

I thought haven’t read such distinctive material anywhere else on-line.
women's self defense keychain

Charlie Freda said...

Each time I used to always check blog posts within the first hours in the break of day, because I like to get information increasingly more.
safe sound personal alarm

Heather Casey said...

Really amazing blog, I’d love to discover some extra information.
100kblueprint4review.net