Thursday, October 1, 2009

Pumpkin Walnut Loaf



Yesterday I was trying to use up a bunch of pumpkin from last year's giant pumpkins. (why doesn't anyone ever just tell me how crazy I am when I do things like this?!?)  I really need a bit more room in my freezers for tomatoes and plums so some of that pumpkin simply has to go.  I made my friend's delicious Pumpkin Curry soup for lunch and then decided to make some sort of sweet  pumpkin treat.  I ended up adapted a recipe to come up with this.

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 cup oatmeal
3 1/4 cup sugar
4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
1 heaping tablespoon cinnamon
1 tsp fresh nutmeg
1 tsp cloves


5 cups cooked pumpkin puree
6 eggs
3/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 cup raisins
1 cups walnut


Mix dry ingredients in very large bowl.  Mix wet in another bowl. Combine and stir until mixed then add raisins and walnuts.  I was able tofill 3 large loaf pans and one small muffin with this amount of batter.  (I had hoped to have some to store for awhile but I can see by how yummy it is that it won't last past the weekend. ;-) )  Bake at 350.  The muffins took 18 minutes and the loaves took one hour.  You can check them after about 45-minutes to see if they are done though.




If you want more pumpkin recipes you should be able to find a bunch by typing "pumpkin" into the search bar at the top of this blog.

5 comments:

Mary-Sue said...

ahem. helloooooo?
nobody tried to tell you just how crazy you were? um. hello? knock knock? anyone there in that memory bank?
LOL
the problem isn't the lack of friends TELLING. the problem is lack of YOU listening.
but truly, too much pumpkin? there ARE worse problems to have...

ipsa said...

Let me know if you want G's pumpkin cinnamon bun (or bread) recipe. It's a yeast bread and is so yum-yum-yummy.

Of course, I have to get the guy to tell me the recipe first...

Now I think I'll wander down to my freezer and nab some of these very buns for our consumption later on.

Heather said...

What's that you're saying, Mary-Sue? I can't seem to hear you. ;-) But...if I could hear you I would say that you are just as likely to be a bad influence as a moderating influence. (tomato skins, cough, cough, dried cherry tomatoes, ahem, ahem) ;-)

Heather said...

Hi Rebecca - last year you spoke of Grant's pumpkin cinnamon buns so I had to try some. I found a recipe and they were the most delicious things. I wonder if his recipe is similar to this? I'd never had pumpkin cinnamon buns before and am soooo glad you mentioned them. :-)

http://ahandmadelife.blogspot.com/2009/05/pumpkin-cinnamon-buns.html

Mary-Sue said...

oh dang. you got me. but i really do think i was saying YOU"RE CRAZY for trying to save every little bit of those MONSTER pumpkins last November!!!