Monday, March 9, 2009

Black bean cornmeal tortilla casserole


Eep, somehow I got sidetracked on the week of bean posts. ;-) Here is another of my favourites. This was one I found in a library book about 13 years ago and I've been enjoying it ever since.

Cornmeal tortillas
1 1/2 c water
1tsp salt
3 tbsp oil or butter
1 c cornmeal
1 c flour
Put water and salt into pot and bring to boil. Add in cornmeal and stir until cooked over low heat. (as if you were making polenta) Remove from heat and allow to cool a bit. Add 1 cup flour and mix well. Divide dough into 10 pieces and roll out into circles on floured surface. Cook on skillet until lightly browned on each side.
These tortillas are then used to make a bean casserole.
In oiled casserole dish put a thin layer of tomato sauce then a layer of tortilla. (I rip them into thirds). Put a layer of black beans on top and then a layer of stewed tomatoes. Repeat these layers (tortilla, beans, tomatoes) and then top with the last of the tortillas. Pour some more tomato sauce on top and then top with grated cheese. Bake for 45 minutes at 350.
I also like to put kernel corn in with the black beans sometimes if I still have corn in the freezer. Our stewed tomatoes already have peppers, zucchini, garlic and onion in them otherwise I would add these as well. Serve with guacamole, sour cream and hot sauce.

Very yum.

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I think I'll try that tomorrow night! Yum!

Mary-Sue said...

that looks SO yum, but so much work? maybe in a few years i'll give it a try ;o)

Katherine said...

If I was closer, I'd be over for dinner. ;o)

The Artsy Oils Girl said...

Another yummy looking recipe and it looks like a great homemade tortillas I have to try this!