Thursday, April 15, 2010

Favourite Curry Recipe

Last night I decided to make a big pot of my favourite curry recipe (and I forgot until just now that I meant to try just a titch of fresh nettle in it) so that we could have an early dinner last night, a dinner-on-the-run for S and leftovers for tonight's dinner so that I don't have to make anything when we get home.  We've been seeing a lot of these veggies these past months and, while we enjoy them thoroughly, we're looking forward to having some fresh, local veg available soon. 
Here's how I make this curry.

In a large pot I melt:
1/4 cup butter (or you can use coconut oil or grapeseed oil)
Then add:
1 chopped onion
several cloves of garlic (I like lots)
a spoon of fresh grated ginger
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp garam masala  (those 3 are the must spices I use but you can also add some curry powder or tumeric if you like)
Stir this and let saute on lowish until onions are soft but don't let garlic burn.  Have all your veggies chopped and ready to add.  I like to use
2 large potatoes - peeled and chopped
4 carrots - peeled and chopped
1 large yam or sweet potato - peeled and chopped
a good amount of cauliflower - cut into bite size florets
butternut squash - peeled and chopped (although didn't use it this time)

I add the veg to spice/onion mixture and stir to coat.
Then I add about 2 cups of stock, 2 cups of my stewed (or canned) tomatoes and
1/3 cup red lentils (not any other kind, these cook up and blend in and act as a thickener).  I let it cook for about 15 or 20 minutes until the veg are soft and the lentils are blended in.  Then add
1 can coconut milk
1 cup chickpeas (or more)
1 cup frozen peas

Cook a few more minutes until the peas and chickpeas are heated and it is done.  I like it best served over rice with a splash of Braggs.  My boys tolerate it with rice but LOVE it served on bread.  Go figure.

6 comments:

Sue said...

Yeah!! I have chickpeas and I LOVE curry anything!

affectioknit said...

I love curry - and yours looks delicious!

ipsa said...

Looks divine, Heather. Coconut milk. Mmmm.

I'm going to make some for supper.

(my tummy's grumbling!)

softearthart said...

Looks tasty, I will have to give it a go,when I was little I used to paint the poppy heads gold and wrap some material around them and call them poppy queens, cheers Marie

Debbie said...

That sounds delicious! I have some red lentils and I don't know what to make with them, so this is very timely. I don't have any of those spices, though, so I'll have to figure out what they are called here and get some the next time I go to the market. Thanks for sharing!

moment to Moment said...

I see why this is your favorite curry, made it tonight
Yumm!!!
Thanks for the inspiration..