Thursday, August 26, 2010

Tomato Time

I mentioned that we've been gorging on tomatoes but now we've just gotten to the point where my plants are producing more than we can eat.  That means it is time to start putting them by for wintertime.  So for the next month I'll be spending some time canning, freezing and drying tomatoes.  The other day I did a small batch of stewed cherry tomatoes for the freezer.  I like to have some small containers (1 cup size) frozen for using in pea soup - I find 1 cup worth gives just enough flavour to our pea soup without being so much that the boys think it is too tomatoey for pea soup.  Bet you didn't know there was such a fine balance with pea soup...neither did I until my boys informed me. ;-)
Next up on my to do list is my favourite salsa - made with peaches and tomatoes.

7 comments:

affectioknit said...

I just picked my first ripe tomato of the year and summer is almost over...

6512 and growing said...

What a gift to have more tomatoes than you can eat. I usually have to buy our preserving tomatoes. Peaches and tomatoes together, yum!

The Apple Pie Gal said...

I don't think I ever met a peach that I wouldn't eat! So please do share that recipe! Thanks!!

Amanda Medlin said...

I planted my first tomato plant this year (a little late in the season) and I'm finally getting my first little tomato. Very exciting! Hopefully next year I can plant a real garden and do some canning and freezing like you.

Samantha said...

We have an astronomical amount of tomatoes this year. It's been a fabulous year for gardening (zone 5 at least). I just froze 10 quarts of tomatoes yesterday.

Heather said...

Hi Apple Pie Gal, I just made a batch of the peach/tomato salsa last night so I'll post the recipe for you asap. Hope you like it.

Sukdraw said...

Great read thankk you