Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Applesauce

Yesterday a friend and her family came over and we made an attempt to use the apples we had picked last week.  We had some lunch and then got started.  We wanted to make loads of applesauce from peeled apples and we also wanted to try out her apple steamer for steamed juice as well as sauce run through the press.

We peeled.  We chopped.

We filled dutch ovens and two huge pots with apples cooking.


We took breaks for fresh apple juice making, steamed juice and pink sauce from the press.  The kids cut faces into apples for dried apple heads.

Then we filled  bowls with cooked applesauce and re-filled the pots.  Several times.  Soon all my containers were filled as was the counter top.



And now...I've got some in the freezer and will can a load this morning to put in the coldroom.  I'll give you one guess as to what we will be having for breakfast...

Just yesterday I was telling my friend that we hadn't seen any deer by the house for quite some time and then this morning the boys came running in to tell me that Mama deer and her two little ones were right beside the house.  We're wondering if they were tempted by the scent of all those apple peelings in the compost bin...after all, who doesn't love fresh apples. ;-)

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Gosh, I haven't made applesauce in years. You're inspiring me!

Jacqueline said...

Yummy! I don't think we can ever get tired of applesauce! At least I hope not!
So fun that the deer came back last night. I bet it was the apple peels!

Jacqueline said...

did you see soulemama's blog post today?! :-)