Thursday, June 2, 2011

Chocolate Energy Orbs

I'm always trying to come up with different healthy, portable snacks for our family.  We've all loved the energy orbs(method for making them linked there) I've made for years and so, for something a little different, I thought I'd try making a variation of them with chocolate.  After all, isn't everything better with chocolate?!?
I ground my chosen dried fruits and nuts in the Vitamix, this time I used dates, raw cashews and some dried apricots (I  had already soaked the apricots in water for a bit to soften them up).  Then I melted some dark chocolate with a little orange juice (I love the flavour of orange with dates).  I meant to add a little coconut oil at this point but somehow I forgot...I'll blame it on the smell of melting chocolate distracting me. ;-)  Once the chocolate was melted I mixed it in with my fruit and nut mixture and then put it in the fridge to chill for a bit.  Once chilled I took spoon fulls of the mixture and rolled it into balls then rolled it in coconut.  I keep them in the freezer (all the better to make sure we don't eat them up in the first day) and they are ready to go on a hike whenever we are.  Delicious!


4 comments:

Misty Pratt said...

Thanks for this! I've been desperate to find some portable snacks for my little munchkin as well!

donna!ee said...

oh my...delicious recipe indeed! thank you much for sharing ... :)

daisy g said...

I'll bet you can't wait to go hiking! ;0)

Laeli said...

Ooooh Heaven!
I'm not sure if the freezer trick would save them from my gnashing teeth:) YUM!