Thursday, October 28, 2010

Zucchini and Sweet Potato Burritos

My boys have never been what I would consider "picky" eaters but I also know that I've done my part to help them be that way.  I encourage them to always try new things and to find ways to enjoy different foods.  Both of them love pretty much anything inside a tortilla and also anything with a bit of cheese on top so burritos always go down well around here. 
In an effort to use up some of the zucchinis we have left from the garden I have been making burritos filled with all kinds of veg and zucchini. Last week I made black bean, sweet potato and zucchini ones and we all really enjoyed them.   I just sauteed some onion, garlic and cumin in olive oil then added the grated zucchini and sweet potato.  Once that was softened a bit I added some black beans (I cook these ahead in big batches and keep them handy in the freezer.  If I freeze them single layer on a cookie sheet then put them into a bag instead of freezing them in a big lump it makes it easy to just take what I need).  I added some Bragg's for flavouring and salt and pepper then mashed some of the beans a bit.  I also added a bit of cheese and let it melt to help hold the filling together but I've done it without cheese to
too.
I filled and rolled the tortillas and put them into a dish with a little bit of tomato sauce on the bottom.  My sauce was made of some fresh garden tomatoes peeled and put in a jar which I then whizzed with my hand blender.  I added some spices - chilli powder, garlic, cumin, salt - and that was it.  I do this with canned tomatoes in the winter and it makes such a quick, delicious enchilada/burrito sauce.  I poured the rest of the sauce over top of the burritos and then baked (covered) for about 1/2 hour (or as long as it takes to bake some squash slices to go with).  Just before they are done I take off the lid and put some grated cheese on top so that it melts.  We like them with guacamole and green onions.
 

7 comments:

Kristina said...

Oh my gosh, these looks soooo good! I'm a recipe-follower though, so is there any way you can be more specific about the amounts of ingredients you use? Also what temperature do you bake them at? Thanks!

Lise said...

Yum. Thanks for the idea.

donna!ee said...

girl...you create the yummiest meals...i'll be having this one tonite...thank you much for sharing this kinda stuff, i just never think of putting together unusual fixins' for these healthy creations of yours... ;)

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!

Alla said...

Oh my gosh!! Do they ever sound good. I am for sure making these. Thank you so much for the idea.

Tara said...

Mmm. These sound delicious and pretty easy to make too. Thanks for the great idea!

Heather said...

Hi Kristina - I'm so bad about measuring. Each time I go to my parents' house and my Dad is making bread I tease him about using all the measuring cups and spoons (even the 1/4 tsp!!) because I hardly ever measure anything...but, for you, I'll try. ;-)

I would guess that I use about 2-3 cups of grated zucchini and 1 1/2 cup grated sweet potato. I use one smallish onion and a couple garlic cloves with a tsp of cumin. I use about 2 cups of black beans (or you could use 1 can). Seasoning to taste. I put only about 1/3 to 1/2 cup grated cheese in the filling to help it stick together a bit then I sprinkle more on top later. This should make enough to fill 10 tortillas (I don't fill them too full because I want them to stay folded nicely). I use a quart jar filled with tomatoes to make the sauce. I bake at 350 for about 1/2 hour.

I hope that is helpful. These are very flexible and you can use almost anything in your fridge for filling. I would encourage you to try changing things if you find this amount (or these fillings) are not to your liking.