Monday, April 20, 2009

Edging addiction

Hello...my name is Heather...and I'm...an edger.

It's true. I'm addicted to edging(that's my favourite edger below). I have such a hard time stopping myself. This addiction has served me well in years past though as it serves to make my perennial beds bigger and bigger. That can't be a bad thing. ;-) I think the thing of it is that it just makes all the gardens look so tidy and pretty, who can resist that?
While I was out there edging I couldn't help but think that before I know it this area...will look like this.
Truly, I find gardening to be just magical.

The hyacinths are in bloom and their scent is combining with the scent from the carpet of violets we have up front. It is absolutely delightful.
All the blossoms seem to be attracting the bees.
And this? This is one of my favourite flowering shrubs (there are many). It is a double flowering almond tree. Each year, when it is in full bloom (see here or here), I take a photo of the boys standing in front of it. I love to see how much they grow from year to year, not to mention the changes in our house and gardens year to year.

It isn't in full bloom yet but I couldn't resist taking some photos of the bits that are in bloom. Spring seems late this year and all my plants are somewhat behind but things are picking up now and the ferns are starting to come up too, I love seeing the way they unfurl. Life really is good.

9 comments:

affectioknit said...

Your garden is magical!

sheila said...

Almond trees? Do they grow nuts?

I think we need to post pictures of winter/summer gardens all around the house in the winter, if only to remind us that yes, one day that bare patch out there (or, in your case, that white blob) will be once more covered in blooms. All my fruit trees are in bloom and the mason bees are going mad, and it's the BEST feeling in the world. But this time always comes when I am feeling DESPERATE for some sunshine and warmth. Funny that.

Jess said...

those almond tree blossoms are just gorgeous!!!!
and I can understand why you love edging. as a kid I begged my mom to allow me to edge the driveway. it really does feel so good to make something look tidy.

Jess said...

those almond tree blossoms are just gorgeous!!!!
and I can understand why you love edging. as a kid I begged my mom to allow me to edge the driveway. it really does feel so good to make something look tidy.

Jacqueline said...

Your garden is so incredibly beautiful when in full bloom! I LOVE those lupins.

Heather said...

Shelia- it is an ornamental tree so no edible nuts grow on it but each year I always see a few green husked nut shaped things on it (seeds of some sort maybe??). The first time I noticed one, just after we moved here, I thought maybe it actually was a proper almond tree and was quite excited. ;-)

this is my patch said...

The double flowering almond tree looks a great pink and the flowers are something special. Nothing can beat the smell of a hyacinth, I think the bee thinks so too, lovely photo. I look forward to seeing your borders inb bloom soon. x

Katherine said...

Your gardens are picture perfect! I appreciate you sharing the art of edging with me, too. I've got my edger all ready to neaten up things here (when spring arrives to stay... ;o)

Bailey said...

Hello -
I am a filmmaker in Atlanta. I saw your interest in Edna Lewis and her fried chicken recipe on another blog. I just wanted to let you know I produced a 21 minute documentary about Miss Edna Lewis. The film is called "Fried Chicken and Sweet Potato Pie".

It is viewable in its entirety on Internet at a Gourmet Magazine website:

http://www.gourmet.com/magazine/video/2008/01/Edna

and at a Georgia Public Broadcasting website:

http://www.cforty7.com/film/theater?film_test=16

My website, http://bbarash.com/bb_friedchicken.htm has more information about the film and the story of Miss Lewis.

Sincerely,
Bailey Barash