Tuesday, December 30, 2008

More Handmade

This is the time of year when I not only have some time for crafting but also when I tend to look around - at my home and my life - and consider what I want to get done. For many years I have had many projects hanging around in various stages of completion. I've set myself a goal of getting most of them done by April and during that time also deciding what projects I no longer want to work on and getting rid of those supplies.

I finally got this rag rug finished up this morning and will either do one more (for the cats because this one is meant to be for my mom) to use up the remainder of the sheets that I've had for years or find someone who wants to try their hand at it.
Just before Christmas I decided to make some felted handle covers for cast iron fry pans. My son has been wanting me to make these for quite some time - he has managed to burn himself a few times. I made some for a friend too and now will make some for my folks. These are a great way to use up odds and sods of wool. You can use up bits and pieces to make stripes.
Or knit them up plain and then needle felt embellishments on.
I also wanted to share a photo of this gift that my husband made for E - to go with his wooden sword and knitted chainmail. It is a simple to make wooden shield (which can be painted with an emblem) - board cut to shape, edges sanded slightly and a wooden trowel handle attached on the back. Fun gift. E is now all kitted out to be as knightly as he likes. ;-)
And E also got his own artist's tote bag - in a more manly plaid. ;-) It really was a handmade sort of Christmas this year. My mom also made gifts for the boys again. They got pajama pants and night caps like they usually do but they also got white chef hats and aprons made for them. Fun.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lovely gifts. Bravo everyone!