Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ah, seeds

Well, do I ever feel like a kid at Christmas. Just look at the goodly goodness of these goodies. Just look!!! So excited!! Last night, at a community discussion of the globalized food system, two lovely ladies brought me all these seeds. (Thanks A, thanks M) How wonderful to be given seeds saved by a fellow gardener as well as seeds from a place that is committed to providing heirloom and organic seeds. Let me tell you that I was excited and very much inspired. I normally only save what I consider to be the "easy" savers - pumpkin, squash, peas, beans, and all my flower seeds. Well, these two women have inspired me to start saving even more. For me, plants and seeds are the best kind of gift, and I appreciate these very much. When I got home I excitedly showed my husband all these treasures, and I may have mentioned how with all these seeds a greenhouse would be a very good thing. :-)

Now to organize where to get all these good things growing while I wait 'til they can go outdoors. :-)
The love of gardening is a seed once sown that never dies. ~Gertrude Jekyll
The fact that I can plant a seed and it becomes a flower, share a bit of knowledge and it becomes another's, smile at someone and receive a smile in return, are to me continual spiritual exercises. ~ Leo Buscaglia

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to hear about your evening at the Philosopher's Cafe too!

Andrea said...

You're very welcome but lest I take credit for my generous friend's sweet thoughtfulness... although some of the seeds came from me - she was the one who organized it all and had the idea to bring them. On the way there, I was wishing I had remembered to bring you some jalepeno seeds when she told me she had some of mine in her package already!

Katherine said...

I'm very excited to see your garden with the addition of the seeds you were gifted with. This will make you even more antsy for Spring time so you can get out to play in the dirt.