Monday, October 4, 2010

Garden Harvest

There is always such a flurry of productive activity at this time of year as I work to get our winter stores of food put away. I thought I'd share some of our food squirreling here.  Last year I used all the peaches for peach butter and didn't can any plain ones, E was very disappointed so I made sure to can a batch of peaches for him this year.
I've got a tray of nettle seeds drying for my nettle seed salt.
We keep picking tomatoes to enjoy fresh and to preserve.  I also tried making my own pizza sauce to can for the first time.
We've got our supply of squash brought in - all the better to make roasted squash bisque.

We've been feasting on E's watermelons. 
And feasting. 
 And feasting.
I was pleased to find a delicious way to use up eggplant.  I did mean to actually use this as pesto but when I was taste testing it I realized it was so tasty that we ended up eating it all on rice crackers for a snack.
I also made sure to dig up and bring in some herbs last week to make sure I have a fresh supply to go with all the ones I have drying.
And so I think I'm mostly caught up and am now just canning the tomatoes as they ripen.  The forecast is calling for risk of frost so we'll be picking a lot of the tomatoes in our town garden today and bringing them home to ripen.

5 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

I love the herbs in the oil cans. That is so cute!

Anonymous said...

You must have one big garden! So bountiful! Your peaches look so sweet and delicious, makes me wish I could reach over and try them ;)

affectioknit said...

What a lovely harvest you've had - we just brought in the last of our green tomatoes - which means it's time to make some Chow-Chow...

Lise said...

It's been a busy preserving time around here, too. Wish I could say it came from my garden! Yours is impressive. I love the herbs in the tins; beautiful!

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Heather,

What a wonderful harvest, indeed! We have harvested nettle seeds, too, but we need a lot more than in salt! I put a big handful in my smoothies for my poor adrenals :).

Love,

Marqueta