Monday, July 12, 2010

Strawberries!

This year is the first year in many, many years that I've not gone strawberry picking.  There was no U-pick in our town this year and hardly any strawberries available at the usual places due to the wet year and the poor crop that resulted.  But yesterday on our way home from an out of town weekend adventure I stopped and got a flat of strawberries.
We usually freeze at least 100 pounds so there will be a lot less strawberry goodness around our home this year but there will be enough in the freezer for some winter smoothies and I've saved enough fresh for two strawberry shortcake nights and one chocolate strawberry short cake (Can't wait Rebecca!).  Now...if I can just find where I saw a recipe for delicious looking shortcakes made with some cornmeal, I think it might have been on a blog I found from a comment left here.  Was it you?  If so, I would very much appreciate the link to the recipe.

5 comments:

Lise said...

I think you may have seen it on my blog, here:
http://inthepurplehouse.blogspot.com/2010/06/independence-days-challenge-update.html
I got the recipe from Little Compton Mornings. Very yummy!

100 pounds! Makes me feel better. People thought I was crazy to freeze 50 pounds of blueberries last year, but it was definitely not enough!

Anonymous said...

100 lbs - wow! We only have 25. But we aren't big strawberry people. I use them in smoothies and for jam. So far I think 25 lbs will be enough...I'm hoping.-Debbie

momma rae said...

i have the same sentiment...100 pounds?!! sounds divine.

Erin said...

Hoping to fill my new (mom's former) freezer chock-a-block full of berries all summer!

We do someting like your dessert...we use angel food cake and cut a wedge into a bowl (we're messy, there's lots of sauce, so that's why a bowl;-)), then top it with strawberries cooked down on the stove for 10 minutes, sometimes infused with a few sprigs of fresh lavender, then top the wedge with the sauce + fresh berries + whipped cream if we're feeling decadent!

There is nothing finer than summer berry desserts in our books!

Heather said...

Thank you Lise!! That is the recipe I was remembering. It is baking in the oven right now.