Friday, March 12, 2010

E's Big Idea

We were talking about making a gift for our friend's birthday the other day and that night while E and I were having a cuddle (and he was holding his wheat heater bag) he came up with the idea that we should make our friend a "heater" bag.  But not just a heater bag...a personalized heater bag.  I loved the idea and love the E came up with it on his own.

He picked out the fabric from our stash of bits and pieces - soft flannel for extra comfort.  He traced letters onto fabric. 
He cut and then decided how the letters should be arranged "just so", adding an ' s to make it an even amount of letters.
I sewed the letters and then he sewed.
We filled it - the boys decided we should use rice rather than wheat (I think partly because they think it will smell better and partly - a big partly- because they don't like the short grain brown rice we have a massive bag of right  now and were happy to use up about 6 cups of it.  Now he has a gorgeous, useful gift that he is very proud to have made and can't wait to give to his friend.

8 comments:

CatHerder said...

i have always wanted to make one of these, but im curious as to if the rice ever gets "bugs"...do you know?

Erin P said...

Ooo, delightful! I get excited too, when my boys create a vision for gift-giving and then set out to make it!!!

What a practical gift, I love that!

I think our family is at the point of choosing to purchase a second hand sewing machine...I'd love to get back into learning, and my oldest is quite competant with sewing by hand. It looks like a logical next step. :-)

Erin

Jacqueline said...

that's a great gift! the recipient will love it!

Sharon Lovejoy said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. I love your postings and it makes me wish that EVERY child could be so blessed.

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

Heather said...

Catherder, I've never known them to get bugs. We kept our microwave for the purpose of heating these bags, I'd be surprised if any bugs could survive that treatment or would bother to even be attracted to rice that is microwaved so often. I'll hope you'll try one out, they're a great comfort.

Heather said...

Erin, it is a very practical gift. I've made them for pregnant mamas (mine worked wonders during my (back) labours) and I also made one for my aunt when she was having her chemo treatment. The heat from the seems to sink right into your bones, I think it is because they sort of flop to mold against your body.

I thought of you the other day because our thrift store had three sewing machines ranging from $10 - $25.

Heather said...

Thank you, Sharon, what a lovely, thoughtful compliment. I appreciate it.

Mary-Sue said...

P LOVES his wheatbag!! loves loves loves! thank you E and H!!