Sunday, November 2, 2008

What to do with a giant pumpkin

We have three giant pumpkins, I can't remember if I've posted pictures of them already or not. This one bit the dust just now. Having these massive slabs of pumpkin to try to fit in our oven gave me a really clear image in my mind. Does anyone remember The Flintstones? In the closing sequence Fred took his family to the drive-in and ordered some ribs. The waitress staggers up with his order of ribs and it ends up tipping his car over. The slab of pumpkin reminded me of those ribs for some reason. I haven't thought of that show in years (probably 30 years) but the image was so clear to me.Just one slice of it over fills a 9 x 13 pan. E took a big chunk to our neighbour and now we just have two huge pumpkins to go -this one was the smallest of the three. The sight of this in the oven is just so funny to me. So...pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cinnamon buns, pumpkin soup, pumpkin ravioli, pumpkin cookies...what else?

3 comments:

denise said...

WOW!!! That is a HUGE pumpkin. Definitely flinstones!

Anonymous said...

Heather, how long do you cook them and what temperature? What do you do to prepare it for pumpkin muffins etc. I have always composted mine.

Anonymous said...

That is certainly a Fred Flintstone pumpkin!