Sunday, November 2, 2008

Cherryville Gourmet Garlic

Every year I intend to plant garlic in the autumn and every year I am either tired of gardening and don't want to do even One More Thing or I just forget. This year I remembered and promptly forgot a few times and then was reminded when I read Shelia's blog about her garlic bed. I promised myself that I would get to it this year.

Yesterday I finally stopped in at our local nursery to buy some and was thrilled to find Cherryville gourmet garlic available (and 25% off). They had a few varieties available and I couldn't resist - German Early Hardy, Yugoslavian, German Red, Russian Red, and Music. One of them in particular smelled absolutely delicious, I hope it was Music because who doesn't love garlic called Music? While the boys worked on picking up the remaining walnuts and mulching the leaves I prepared a bed for planting. The garlic is all tucked in for winter now. It was almost dusk when I was finished - the days seem so short already and that was yesterday - before the time change. (anyone else find the whole Fall back time thing annoying? Just at the time of year when I would like a bit more daylight in the evening we have to put the clock back?!?)
My June planted garlic (yes, June. The April planted bed was doing so well by then that I figured I might as well plant more) seems to be ready for use, the whole head is just one big roundish clove - weird but handy because it makes for less peeling.
*Just in case you have a bunch of those small mesh bags around that you can't think of a use for - they make great pot scrubbers when they are tied in a knot or with a dish cloth put inside.

2 comments:

denise said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH! Your post made me realize I completely forgot to plant my garlic. With Halloween and a sick boy I just forgot and the bag is sitting by the back door! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

I was just planning my day and thinking about how I had better get some garlic planted. I got the one big clove thing happening this year too. I'm thinking we just didn't have a hot enough summer for it? I didn't know that you weren't supposed to water it during the last month. I always learn something when I read your blog.