Friday, October 14, 2011

Fall Rye

Awhile back I mentioned a new found love for cover crops.  I'm so thrilled to be able to get the chance to experiment and learn more about green manuring/cover cropping.  One of the things I love about gardening (ooh, there really are SO many things) is that there is always so much more to learn.  It's delightful really.
In early September I planted fall rye on one of the sections of next year's garden.  I was tickled to watch it sprout and grow so lush and green so quickly.  Really, it just looks beautiful and I love the thought that the sections where it will remain until springtime will be so nicely tucked in for wintertime - keeping the soil intact through winds and rains, all the while adding goodness to the soil.
The other day I tilled in one section of it in order to prepare garlic beds.  As I tilled I couldn't help enjoying how gorgeous the soil looks already - crumbly, light, dark chocolate brown. 
I'd already planted more sections in rye and look forward to trying out some other cover crops as well.  I love this practice of growing our own fertility right in the garden.   Next year I plan to do some undersowing of low growing cover crops in some areas too - to add organic matter to the soil as well as to prevent weed growth.  And next...my first time planting large quantities of garlic.  Hopefully I'll be able to convince a few family members to help - after all, many hands make light work (ahem!).

7 comments:

donna!ee said...

wow, that is beautiful soil, and rye. you are blessed indeed! :)

The Finicky Farmer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Finicky Farmer said...

Ron L. Engeland's _Growing Great Garlic: The Definitive Guide for Organic Gardeners and Small Farmers_ is an excellent resource! My partner and her fellow farmers all have copies!

sheila said...

Oh my goodness that's a large plot of soil! I have soil envy!

I forgot my rye - I left it in the basement. Where did you say you got your organization from again? I must get some, lol.

Strimer: (n) A lisping trimmer with a spelling problem.

cargillwitch said...

the soil DOES look amazing! You should have a wonderful gardening season next year to look forward to.

Heather said...

Finicky Farmer - Thank you SO much for sharing that. I really appreciate it when someone takes the time to share a book title or resource. I went straight to the library website to see if they had that book and...I already had it on hold. ;-) I'm number 2 on the wait list so hopefully everyone else reads quickly and I get a copy this week before planting. Thanks again.

daisy g said...

What a leg up you'll have for the next planting season!