Friday, June 17, 2011

A Long Time Ago...in a Home, Not So Far Away...

A Long Time Ago...in a Home, Not So Far Away...my talented husband rescued a walnut tree from its fate as firewood.  He brought it home in the back of his truck and he has been using bits and pieces of it to make all kinds of beautiful things as gifts - jewelery, bread boards and butter spreaders.  He has several gorgeous boards that he is saving to make our dining room table but in the meantime...
he decided to make us an outdoor dining table. 
It's gorgeous.  He cut one of the boards in half lengthwise and then used a piece of granite that we've had sitting around for years (picked up for free from a shop that was getting rid of it).  He put these both on a table frame that had long since lost its glass top.  I love the live edges on it.
We're looking forward to the weather drying up a bit so we can continue to enjoy dinners outside on it.  I sometimes tease my boys that they'd better learn to build/fix/make things the way their Dad does if they want to get a good wife...and I'm only partially kidding. ;-)  I have a huge amount of respect for people with the ability to make and fix all sorts of things and while I may not have been consciously looking for that in a mate I have to say that it is something I really admire about him.  The boys also know how much I love it when S brings home flowers that he has picked for me too.  Dads can be such great role models.  I feel very grateful that my boys have such a Dad and I'm also feeling very grateful and full of admiration for my own Dad.

12 comments:

Mary-Sue said...

wow! GORGEOUS! fantastic! bravo!!!

donna!ee said...

you are surely blessed, enjoy! :)

daisy g said...

That is absolutely brilliant! Enjoy your first meal on it!

sheepish said...

What a beautiful table!
Wishing you many outdoor dinners around it.

Laeli said...

That is unbelievably gorgeous! WOW!
You are one lucky lady:)

Unknown said...

Beautiful xxx

Gramerly said...

A guy my husband works with was neighbors with someone who lost a gigantic cherry tree in a tornado. He got and had it milled. Several cradles for our wee ones and barrister bookcases for each child. Nothing like it is there?
A thing of beauty is a joy to behold. I hope you enjoy many years of good times around that creation.

The Knitty Gritty Homestead said...

Do appreciate it! I look forward to my bro-in-law visiting...I always have a list ready because my husband is handsome but NOT handy. He IS musical and creative...but I do wish sometimes that he could build things to my design! The table is GORGEOUS.

Katherine said...

S did a beautiful job making this outdoor dining table, Heather. What joy it is to be able to see the potential in something and then make it into items you'll use and cherish.

Jacqueline said...

oh wow! it's gorgeous! your man is truly talented! i can imagine you will enjoy many yummy meals outside this summer on your new table. enjoy!

Erin said...

Heather, that is a stunning table and I've no doubt that the love one feels for their family can be the catalyst for the desire and inspiration to create and make such beauty for their loved ones.

To think that this piece will be the backdrop for meals together as a family is a beautiful purpose for these pieces that maybe otherwise would have gone by the wayside.

Celebrate and enjoy!

Happy Solstice :)

Unknown said...

OH you are a lucky girl! Imagine serving home made bread with butter on that board. Turning green here.