Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fool Me Twice...

We've been eating a lot of strawberry shortcake and a few days ago we decided to move onto fool.  Hard to beat strawberry fool for an easy-to-make, delicious dessert.  I made it for my family Monday night and then made it again last night for our friends. 
Just chop about 4 cups worth of strawberries (or run them quickly through the food processor if you like but leave them a bit rough).  Sprinkle a couple spoons of sugar on top and let sit for a few hours.
Whip 2 cups worth of cream with a titch of sugar and, if you have it, the seeds scraped from half a vanilla pod.  Then fold the two together.  Spoon into serving dishes (jam jars in my case because I don't have any pretty clear glass bowls and the jars do nicely in a pinch) and top with a strawberry.  I was thinking last night that it would be really nice served with a crisp cookie...like maybe a stroopwafel.  I'll have to get some next time I go to the market and test out my theory.  Then we'll have to be "fooled" for a third time. ;-)
It definitely goes down a treat!
And my Clivia is in bloom again.  I was just thinking it wasn't going to bloom this year and started cleaning it up to take outside to divide (my friend has been waiting patiently for me to divide it for faaar too long) when I noticed a bloom stalk coming.  I love this plant with its glossy green leaves and I also love that each year it reminds me to be patient and that it will bloom in its own sweet time.

Oh, how funny.  I just used my blog search to see if I could find another post about this plant blooming and I see I posted about it on June 30th last year.  I was so sure it usually bloomed earlier and that it was late this year...I guess it hasn't taught me much about being patient after all. ;-)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehe...I think we all forget to be patient sometimes.

Gorgeous piccies xxx

The Knitty Gritty Homestead said...

At 6 a.m. this made my mouth water!! I have a dairy-intolerant child so this one will have to wait till he's away! Beautiful...the jam jars are way prettier than any fancy bowl could be.

Unknown said...

These look just lovely in the jelly jars...Thanks for sharing! I can do this on my diet...just use low fat and Agave.
Your clivia is lovely...I have a red one.

Anonymous said...

Seeing this, just reminded me I used to make mango fools. Replace the strawberries with mango, puree with a bit of sugar (or natural sweetener) and a splash of lime juice. It was so good! But I must admit, your strawberry ones look divine!

Laeli said...

oooh yum! Your fools are so pretty in their jars, clever idea.
If I ever get to the FM this weekend-so busy-I'll be imagining fools with every fruit I see!

affectioknit said...

Very pretty and yummy looking...hmmm...thinking about a vegan version now...

myrtle said...

I've had a Clivia for a number of years and it never bloomed, until the year I was home with my first son. I guess it needed the extra attention. Hasn't bloomed since, though. Maybe my 2 kids give it too much attention :)

Oh, and the fool looks delicious.

Country Girl said...

I made this and my family Loved it! Even put in canning jars...can't live without them!