Thursday, April 28, 2011

This is a Test!

I am testing myself.  I am a person who tends to take on too much at times.  I love to make things, fix things, grow things and do things.  The last few years I have been challenging myself to slow down a bit.  And ooooh, is it ever tricky for me.  So...I am testing myself.  When we moved here I found an apricot tree -a very sadly neglected but still living apricot tree - down the bank amidst some dead apricot trees and, what looks like, some plum trees.  Here is my challenge - I am going to see if I can leave this tree well enough alone.  No pruning.  No mulching.  Not even going to pick off the old mummies (even though I KNOW they are harbouring brown rot fungus which I used to oh so painstakingly pick off my old tree!  Horrors!!).  No, none of that.  I am only going to enjoy whatever fruit it gives us just as I have enjoyed the beautiful blossoms it is giving us right now.  So delicate and beautiful.

Now...why couldn't I have issued myself the same challenge for the wallpaper in the bedroom?  That is definitely something that should have been left well enough alone.

7 comments:

daisy g said...

Heather-I know just what you mean! Those blossoms are gorgeous!

sheepish said...

Yikes. That is a test....I am living right along with you as my instinct as well is to jump in and help out the tree. You see, I am also one who tends to try to do too much.
Good luck. You have my support and encouragement to let sleeping apricot trees lie.

cargillwitch said...

sitting still, I believe for mothers is close to impossible.I often push myself to the point of collapse and question why the drive to be a human doing instead of a human being.
I will put money the tree bearing fruit! all by it's lonesome

cathy@home said...

Good luck on slowing down and letting nature be the gardener that's what I am trying to do in my flower bed I love flowers that reseed.

Erin said...

I love what Cathy said above, "letting nature be the gardener"....an ideal very much a part of permaculture, I think.

Slow, patient, under-achieving (intentionally), and taking the path less travelled as mamas is not what we are encouraged to do/be. Society and the mainstream try to create disillusionment with that...I get stressed each time I glance at a magazine rack of women's publications...the the articles in bold lettering pressuring us to conform, succeed, spend, achieve, be more, be better, be faster, sexier...gah!

Thank you for continuing to shine a light on this valuable awareness, that we may be inspired by you!

May you enjoy apricots in July aplenty:)

~Erin

Mimi and Anna said...

Sorry, Heather, I'm going to have to be the one to say "just do it!" You are so lucky to have that beautiful old apricot tree - pick off those mummies and give it the nurturing it has been lacking. You'll both be happier for it. I think it would have been much easier to leave the wallpaper than this tree. At least the tree will thank you with yummy apricots!

p.s. Maybe I take on too much at times, also. :)

Mama Said No said...

I hope you pass the test--I am also one of those who takes on way too much, and it makes my husband nuts.

I'm pullin' for you!