Monday, June 14, 2010

Comfrey, Calendula, Chamomile and Nettle Salve

When we were at Pike Place Market we saw a man selling salves. Evan has been quite enjoying his comfrey salve and so when I saw that one of the salve tins was marked comfrey, calendula, chamomile and nettle I knew we would have to make some.  I always have jars of dried chamomile and calendula on hand, we have a nettle patch down our bank and my generous friend had just let me come pick as much comfrey as I wanted from her house (and she helped me pick it!) so we had everything we needed.  I dumped it all in a pyrex dish, poured olive oil over top, put a lid on and then put it in the oven on low since I already had a big batch of granola on the go in there.
Several hours later I took it out of the oven and let it sit overnight and then strained it for a gorgeous green healing oil.
Add a bit of beeswax and there you have it...a healing salve. 

8 comments:

The Knitty Gritty Homestead said...

Oh, I must try this. I'll never forget, after my second birth, just as all was healing well, I found a lump "down there"...panicked, naturally. The next day my midwife arrived with a big bag of comfrey and suggested I bath the area in warm comfrey tea as many times a day as possible...within days the lump was gone. I have never used it medicinally since, but think tomorrow is the day to make some salve! Where does one buy beeswax?

Lorie said...

Just stumbled on your blog and love it! Look forward to reading more. The rhubarb looks great, can't wait to try the drink.

affectioknit said...

That looks awesome!

Heather said...

Hi Stephanie - I was just telling someone I was working with yesterday (she trained as a doula) about my first experience with comfrey. My midwife gave me a comfrey tea to use in the bath after having E and it helped everything heal quickly - so quickly that his umbilical cord stump healed immediately. I think of it as a fantastic healer.
E got the beeswax from a friend but you can also get it from a honey seller at the farm market or a craft store.

Katherine said...

Shall have to call you, "Heather, the Healer". You make it look so easy, clever girl.

Moment to Moment said...

love it, I must make some, I just made some poison ivy spray with comfrey, jewelweed and plantain. I wonder if I can still find a few nettles around..hmmm
love those nettles, I am ambling..
Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Question. Since comfrey shouldn't be near metal could you use a crock pot instead?

Angelwolfstorm said...

I would love to know approximate measurements of the herb to oil and then the finished oil to beeswax. These 4 herbs are great for eczema.