Thursday, February 11, 2010

Things That Make Me Happy

One of the things on  my list of 101 Things To Do is to indentify 100 things that make me happy.  A few things that normally make me very happy were made very clear to me while we were away on holiday and I was away from these things  - my love of, and the pleasure I get from, composting; my love of my well-seasoned, deep black cast iron pots and pans; the enjoyment I get from baking from scratch; and my complete and utter devotion to my home-canned tomatoes...life is not as good for me without home-canned tomatoes.

So...now that we are home I am enjoying filling up our compost bucket each day and watching E wander out to the bins with it, I am eating tomatoes as often as I can and cooking them in cast iron and...I am baking...
Oatcakes (with sugarless strawberry jam)
Cinnamon Bread French Toast (this is W's piece and you can see he took a nibble out of the bread before making it into French toast)
Pumpkin Birthday Pie(s)

and lentil casserole,  homemade perogies with roasted garlic powder (or roasted gold as we call it - a gift from a wonderful friend), pasta with tomatoes, Jamie's roasted veg and more.  We do love good food.

I've left space in my journal for a list of the 100 things that make me happy because I think being aware of these things makes it just that much easier to be sure they have a place of priority in my life.

8 comments:

Green Gal said...

this all looks so yummy!

ipsa said...

100 things that make you happy... that's such a good idea.

I think my journal has room for something like that, too!

(BTW, seeing all that yummy food has set me to drooling).

Marqueta (Mar-kee-ta) G. said...

Dear Heather,

I see you had a WONDERFUL vacation, but I agree that there's just no place like home! Especially with a friendly compost bucket or two :).

The food pictures are so yummy, they look good enough to eat!

You've just given me an idea for a journal-writing assignment for my girls~One hundred things should take them a while!

Love,

Marqueta

affectioknit said...

It all looks super - and happy-making!

Brooke said...

oh, that looks yummy! Home is the place for me (but it is fun to get out every once in a while)

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

I think a happiness list sounds like a wonderful idea!
I need to remember to come back some time and browse through your recipes. So much good food!

Maia said...

I LOVE CINNAMON BREAD FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!!!!! :)

Heather said...

Rebecca, one thing that I am really enjoying is my cut and paste journal and I was inspired to do that thanks to YOU!!

Marqueta, I hope that you will make your list alongside your girls, I think it is such a valuable thing to identify what makes us happy. :-)

Hi Brooke, yes I think that saying, "there's no like home" really rings true for me, I have that quote framed and on my shelf, actually.

Maia - Us Too!! Another thing we love (we get it as a treat each year) is cinnamon roll french toast, it is made out of sliced day old cinnamon rolls. Too, too good!!