Friday, November 27, 2009

Paper Snowflakes and Brown Sugar Buttons

I'm pretty sure that I might be the only person who chooses which mandarin oranges to buy based on the  colour paper in which the oranges are wrapped.

I love making  paper snowflakes - always have - and these orange wrappers are just the right size and thickness to make lovely flakes with.



We also did some baking yesterday and tried out these Brown Sugar Button cookies (Thanks D.).  They are divine.  I could tell right away that these will be added to our holiday recipe collection and become part of our traditions.  They are that good...and so easy.


And even though, in theory, they are supposed to be a holiday treat, they also made a delightful late afternoon snack yesterday.

The only thing about them that isn't great is that the icing sugar sprinkled over top leaves tell-tale signs on the pan of how many have been eaten.  You can see quite cleary exactly how many are missing so there is no chance of a mama sneaking an extra one without be caught.

8 comments:

affectioknit said...

Fun - all of our Sunday School children will make a snowflake this Sunday for the Chrismon tree - it's loads of fun! The cookies look wonderful too - Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

The cookies look wonderful -- I can even smell them (??) We have had to go gluten free this year, so I won't even bother to ask for a recipe... and no, they wouldn't taste the same, substituting for different flours -- trust me!! :(
Rebecca :)

Sue said...

These look fab! I am making them tomorrow!Sue

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Hello Heather! I recently found your blog and just spent some time exploring. Oh my, I feel like I just saw 100 wonderful things, my head is full of creating goodness! I love your needle felting projects, and wonder how the embroidery is coming along...
Also, I would choose oranges based on the color of paper they were wrapped in, and not even for a reason as deliberate as yours.

Heather said...

Thanks Affectioknit, I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Yours is later in the U.S than ours here in Canada.

Rebecca and Sue, the cookies were delicious, notice I say "were", they're all gone. So much for being holiday baking. ;-)

Heather said...

Hi Renee
Thanks so much for your kind words. I appreciate them! I haven't done any embroidery since the fairy house I did (which was received very well by the lovely little girl it was made for) but I plan to do some embroidery on shopping bags for Christmas gifts. Thanks for stopping by. I've just had a quick peek at your blog, love those Martinmas watercolour lanterns. The boys and I still have the ones they made years ago. They're such a delight at this time of year.

daisy g said...

I am going to try to recreate them gluten-free for my lil' guy to enjoy. Thanks!

The snowflakes are gorgeous! Can I find instructions on your blog?

Heather said...

Hi Daisy, I don't have any instructions here but I bet you could google them online. I learned how to make these in grade school and have been enjoying them ever since. As long as you get the fold right and don't cut entirely along the fold you'll be fine.