Monday, December 15, 2008

Hand-dipped beeswax candles

Lately our home has had the sweet honey smell of beeswax filling every nook and cranny. E has been busy dipping candles. He spent much of the autumn learning all about pioneers and knew that he wanted to dip candles in this "pioneer" way ( and make butter and spin wool and weave a basket and make ink and and and...) ;-)I loved watching him patiently dip, dip, dip and then decide which set of candles would be give to each person. He also enjoyed writing a little article about candle dipping for an online newsletter for the virtual village we are part of.
This is the kind of learning that we love in our family - the kind that employs all our senses...that is simple...natural...practical...and is meaningful to us in some way.


He has them all ready for gifting and is quite pleased with the process and the thought of having lovely handmade gifts for all his loved ones. He even made some for me to put in one of my favourite Christmas decorations.

5 comments:

Samantha said...

Those are wonderful! Great job E!! I image the aroma of beeswax filled your home in a most wonderful way!

Mary-Sue said...

wow. how lovely. your kind of learning is inspiring! what a boy!

denise said...

I LOVE the smell of beeswax in the house. We have been hand dipping too - but my boys candles don't end up quite so even yet. Those look great!

Tara said...

This is something I've been wanting to try. Denise is right, these look so straight and lovely, but not too perfect. Just right.

Katherine said...

Please tell me that E didn't make all those candles himself? Talk about handmade mass production goodness. I bet your house smelled heavenly.