Thursday, March 20, 2008

Lunch (or dinner) on the go...

My family loves calzones. It doesn't seem to matter much what the filling is, as long as it is in a pocket of dough then they are pretty happy to eat it. We normally make them with tomato sauce, mushrooms and cheese, but this time I decided to try a broccoli cheese type of filling based on a delicious snack that we bought when we were in Maui (at my favourite heath food store) this Winter.

I made a cream soup substitute with some olive oil, flour and broth. I added some grated cheese, steamed broccoli and grated carrot. This made 8 calzones and then the other 8 were our usual pizza type. My plan was that we would eat 2 each for our dinner and then have 2 each left for our lunch the next day. Ha ha ha ha...the best laid plans and all that, my guys were practically rolling on the floor in hysterics when I said that. There are 2 left in the fridge for lunch.As soon as the spinach I planted is ready to eat I will be making spinach, feta, garlic ones to take on our hikes too. And I will be making a quadruple batch, so there. Delicious!

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Mmmm... calzones! We love them too and face the same challenge as you... making enough of them to enjoy for more than one meal ;o) Sometimes I'm able to slip some into the freezer to give me an edge over them disappearing the day I make them. (just don't tell the boys that I do this - the freezer seems to be the best food hiding place in our home)

Anonymous said...

Oh, hunny, you're way too good. Those look amazing -- nothing like a mama (or papa's) cookin' from scratch! I'm especially impressed with your improvisation with the cream soup substitute - normally when I recipe calls for that, I move on, because we don't buy that junk. But now I know your secret and I'm gonna try it next time. Thanks!

Have I mentioned lately how much I'm enjoying your blog? You rock.

Amanda said...

All I can say is ... YUM!

Heather said...

Thanks Krista. Actually my boys quite often comment that there is nothing like home cooking, so I am pleased that they have learned that at a young age. I'm also pleased that they know how to cook so it isn't always me doing the home cooking. ;-) Here is a recipe for the cream soup substitute. My friends are all falling off their chairs that I have an actual recipe for something. ;-) (I didn't say that I actually follow the recipe exactly ladies - I use it as a guide)

Cream soup substitute
3 tbsp butter, Earth balance, or oil
3 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt (if not using broth)
pepper
1 1/4 c liquid (broth or milk or ??)

Melt butter (I use oil) with flour to make a roux. Add seasoning, and slowly add liquid. Stir 'til thick. Then you can add cheese, mushrooms, celery (or celery salt), garlic or even tomato. It all depends on what kind of cream soup sub you want.

Anonymous said...

Yeehaw! Made a note of it, sounds easy, yummy and much healthier than the "junk" ;) Thanks!!